Friday, 12 August 2016

The future generations……. Glad I am an older Unicorn

I was at the shops when I overheard a conversation with a mother and her son:

Son: Close your eyes
Mum: You are not getting anything
Son: Just close your eyes
Mum: No

I then wondered out of earshot. I few minutes later I overheard them again.

Mum: Okay you can have one
Son: Ok, but there are others
(He then wondered off to the toy isle and returned with three packets containing toys)
Son: I need all of these
Mum: But you already have this one
Son: But you don’t understand

I again thankfully wondered out of earshot.

From no to ok in a few minutes shows the lack of parenting skills that many parents display today.

Many older people “quote the bible” saying “Spare the rod, spoil the child”. As many parents do not believe in smacking as a form of discipline this quote is totally redundant.

This so-called “quote” does not even appear in the bible.

The verse in question is Proverbs 13:24 which I have listed below from various translations and none of them state that the child will be spoilt.

* Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them. 
     New Living Translation

* Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves is diligent to discipline him.
      English Standard Version

* He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him properly.
      New King James

* Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them
      New International Version

* A refusal to correct is a refusal to love; love your children by disciplining them.
      The Message


The version that’s works the best for today’s world is The Message.
It is simple and clear. Correct your child and discipline them. There is no mention of smacking.

The important lesson here is discipline your children. You are doing them a disservice by not disciplining them. If you raise a child who does not understand the meaning of the word no, they are more likely to become a burden on society rather than a productive member of society.

A young adult who does not understand the meaning of no will most likely:

* Fail in school as they will not believe teachers when they say no
* Fail in University as they will not believe the lecturers when they say no
* Loose many jobs as they will constantly clash with managers who say no
* Argue with Police Officers who say no and may get arrested
* Argue with anyone in authority who says no

Raising a child with boundaries and who understands the meaning of the word no is not easy. It requires time, effort and consistency.

It sounds like hard work and it is, but it can be done. I have met children who have never been smacked, but when mum says no, they understand and accept the answer.

However to many parents today are too wrapped up with their online life to worry about their children. Tablets, smart phones, TV and computer games have become the children’s baby sitters.

According to an article listed below the average person spends 490 minutes a day online. That equates to over 8 hours a day. No wonder parents are not spending any time disciplining their children.

  

I am really glad all our children are young adults and have been raised with discipline. However I feel really sorry for them when the younger generation join them in the workforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment